44 kids are hit by a car while walking everyday
1 in 5 high school students walk distracted
1 in 8 middle school students walk distracted
Girls are 1.2 times more likely than boys to walk distracted
Keep your teens safe by teaching and reinforcing these safety tips:
- Teach kids from an early age to look left, right then left AGAIN before crossing
- Use sidewalks and cross only at traffic signals or crosswalks
- If no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far to the left as possible
- Children under 10, should only cross with an adult
- Be sure to make eye contact with drivers before crossing
- Put phones, headphones and devices down when crossing or walking along a road
- Watch for cars turning or backing up
- Beware of others who might be distracted and speak up if you see someone who is in danger
- If you need to use the phone, stop walking and get to a safe place
Devices down. Heads up.
Take the distracted walking pledge.
Take a ‘Moment of Silence’ when you cross the street in honor of the thousands of teens who are hit by cars each year.