With two fatal motorcycle crashes in the metropolitan area in as many weeks, the attorneys at Casey, Devoti & Brockland want all drivers to be aware of motorcycle safety.
The first crash, in Warrenton, left a man dead and his wife seriously injured when the motorcycle they were riding has hit by a car that failed to yield to them at an intersection.
A week later, a vehicle in St. Louis City turned in front of a group of motorcyclists causing a pile-up crash that killed a 26 year old male.
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness month. However, with warmer temperatures and daylight saving time already in effect, more motorcycles are on the road now. Motorcycles are vehicles with the same rights and privileges as any other vehicle on the road. All motorists are reminded to safely share the road with motorcyclists and be extra alert to help keep themselves and motorcyclists safe.
Remember to follow these safety tips:
- Do not drive distracted. Every driver should always be focused on the primary task of driving.
- Passenger vehicle drivers must allow greater following distance behind a motorcycle.
- Drivers also must show extra caution in intersections. Most crashes occur when a driver fails to see a motorcyclist and turns left in front of a motorcycle.
- Drivers should never try to share a lane with a motorcycle. Always give a motorcycle the full lane width.
- Motorcyclists should avoid riding in poor weather conditions.
- Motorcyclists should position their motorcycles to avoid a driver’s blind spot.
- Motorcyclists and drivers must use turn signals for every turn or lane change.
- Motorcyclists are encouraged to get formal training and take refresher courses. Visit the Motorcycle Safety Foundation website to find RiderCourse classes near you.
Casey, Devoti & Brockland is a St. Louis-based law firm focused exclusively on personal injury litigation. Since 1983, our attorneys have helped injured people navigate the road to recover by securing compensation for pain and suffering, medical expenses and lost wages. Together Partners Matt Casey, Matt Devoti and Anne Brockland have nearly 50 years of trial experience handling the following personal injury matters: car, truck and train crashes, victims of impaired and distracted driving, medical malpractice, birth injuries, product liability, premises liability, elder and sexual abuse, Workers’ Compensation and wrongful death. We proudly serve clients throughout metropolitan St. Louis, southeastern Missouri and southern Illinois.
Our highly accessible attorneys deliver the perfect balance of aggressive legal representation, compassion and personal service. If you or a loved one have been injured by the negligence of another, call the office today for a free, no-obligation consultation: (314) 421-0763.