In 2010, the CPSC launched a campaign called Pool Safely in order to educate the public about pool safety and child drownings. Even though child drowning deaths are down 11% over the last six years, it still remains the leading cause of unintentional death in children ages 1 to 4.
During the summer, the CPSC urges people to take a pool safety pledge and follow these important pool protocols:
- Install a four-sided fence with a self-closing, self-latching gate around all pools and spas.
- Designate a Water Watcher to supervise children in the pool or spa. This person should not be reading, texting, using a smart phone or be otherwise distracted. (Order or download a free Water Watcher card)
- Learn how to swim and teach your child how to swim.
- Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments.
- Ensure any pool and spa you use has drain covers that comply with federal safety standards and if you do not know, ask your pool service provider about safe drain covers.
Child Drowning Statistics
The following information provided by the CPSC:
- Between 2013 and 2015, an estimated 5,600 children younger than 15 years old were treated each year in hospital emergency rooms for non-fatal drownings in pools or spas.
- Between 2011 and 2013, the majority of fatal drowning victims were younger than 5 (77 percent of victims younger than 15 years old).
- Between 2013 and 2015, the majority of hospital emergency room-treated non-fatal drowning victims were younger than 5 years old (77 percent of victims younger than 15 years old).
Casey & Devoti is a St. Louis-based personal injury law firm. Our experienced trial attorneys handle a wide variety of personal injury cases, including: automobile, truck and train accidents, medical and legal malpractice, product and premises liability, elder and sexual abuse, Workers’ Compensation, and wrongful death.
If you or a loved one is injured by the negligence of another, please contact our office at (314) 421-0763. Matt and Matt are happy to meet with you for a free initial consultation.